Overall privacy statement
EOS-1 Network takes your privacy seriously. Because we gather certain types of information about our users we want to help you understand the terms and conditions surrounding the collection and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses the types of information we gather, how we use it, and how to correct or change it. These privacy practices apply to the Web site that you were viewing when you clicked through to this policy, which is operated by EOS-1 Network, its partner or affiliate.
1. What personally identifiable information does EOS-1 Network collect?
EOS-1 Network’s primary goal in collecting personal information is to provide you with the best and most useful content and services. Because EOS-1 Network derives its revenue mainly from advertising, collecting information is essential to keeping our services affordable to users.
EOS-1 Network collects personally identifiable information when you provide it to us, such as when you register on one of our sites, when you subscribe for an e-mail newsletter, when you use certain products or services, and when you visit EOS-1 Network pages. Several of the services that we offer on our sites, such as auctions and message boards, may require registration as a condition of use. Once you register with one of our EOS-1 Network sites you are no longer anonymous to us. EOS-1 Network may also receive information about you from other sources and add it to the information you have provided to us.
2. What anonymous information does EOS-1 Network collect?
Your Internet browser has a feature called “cookies” which store small amounts of data on your computer about your visit to any of our sites. However, cookies tell us nothing about who you are unless you specifically give us personally identifiable information. You do not need to have cookies turned on to visit most EOS-1 Network sites, although active participation in certain areas of our sites may require cookies. In addition, you may elect not to allow cookies to be collected by selecting certain options on your browser.
Web bugs & servers
We use electronic images known as Web bugs–sometimes called single-pixel GIFs, transparent GIFs, or clear gifs–that allow us to track general user traffic patterns. EOS-1 Network also automatically receives and records information from our servers and from your browser, including your IP address, the time, and information about the page you requested.
We use tracking technologies in a variety of ways, including:
- keeping count of return visits to our site or our advertiser’ or partners’ sites
- accumulating and reporting anonymous, aggregate (data collected in mass), statistical information on Web site and advertisement usage
- determining which features users like best
- saving your password so you don’t have to re-enter it each time you visit our sites
Third-party advertisement servers
Some of our advertisers use third-party companies to serve their advertisements on our sites and, in some cases, in our HTML-formatted newsletters. Often, these third-party advertising companies employ cookie and Web bug technologies to measure advertisement effectiveness. We do not give any personally identifiable information to them as part of this relationship. Use of their tracking technology is subject to their own privacy policies. If you would like more information about the privacy policies of the third-party advertising providers including information on how to opt out of their tracking methods, check: LinkShare CorporationLinkShare Corporation and ValueClick Media Online Advertising Network.
3. How does EOS-1 Network use the information?
EOS-1 Network uses the information we gather for four general purposes:
- to customize the advertising and content you see
- to enhance the user experience in our network of sites. We use tracking information to determine how well each page performs overall based on aggregate user demographics and traffic patterns to those pages. This helps us continue to build a better service for you
- to fulfill your requests for certain products and services, such as sending out electronic newsletters and enabling users to participate in polls, contests, message boards, and auctions
- to send you information you agreed to receive about topics we think will be of interest to you
4. How does EOS-1 Network share the information?
Personally identifiable information
EOS-1 Network will make your personally identifiable information available to other companies or people when:
- we have your consent to share the information
- we have engaged companies to work with or on behalf of EOS-1 Network to provide a product or service that you have requested
- you use co-branded services. When you use a co-branded service within our network of sites you grant us permission to pass your registration information back to that service partner. Their use of your information is subject to their applicable privacy policies.
EOS-1 Network aggregates personally identifiable information and discloses such information in a non-personally identifiable manner to advertisers and other third parties for marketing, promotional, and other purposes. We do not disclose to these entities any information that could be used to identify you personally.
We are always seeking to improve our network of Web sites and our business. In accomplishing these objectives, we may buy or sell a company, or one or more of the companies in our corporate family may merge with or be acquired by another company. If we sell a business, we may transfer some or all of your information as a part of the sale in order that the service being provided to you may continue or for other business purposes.
5. What are my options?
Users who would rather not provide any of the user data requested by our registration process do not need to register with us. You can still view much of the content and use many of the services offered by our sites without registering.
We also give users the following options:
- opting not to receive our electronic newsletters or those of third parties when registering. Users who opt-in may remove themselves from mailing lists at any time by following the instructions at the end of the e-mail they received from us.
- opting not to provide certain personal information when registering for a site.
Any modifications to our privacy practices will be reflected first within this area of our network of Web sites. If there is a material change in our privacy practices, we will indicate on our sites that our privacy practices have changed and provide a link to the new privacy statement. If we are going to be using the information collected from users in a manner materially different from that stated at the time of collection we will send affected users written notice of the change.
7. Privacy of children
Our network of sites is not directed to children under the age of 13. We operate our network of sites in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and do not permit registration by, and will not knowingly collect or use personally identifiable information from, anyone under 13 years of age.
Questions regarding this privacy statement, or regarding any other aspects of our network of Web sites, should be sent via e-mail to or to our corporate office at PO Box 881874, Los Angeles, CA 90009. We read every message submitted and try to reply promptly to every one. We may also file your comments to improve the site and program, or review and discard the information.
E-mail contacts for questions
Last updated March 2003
© 1996 EOS-1 Network, Inc. All rights reserved.